Day 17 - Get Some Legumes In Your Diet!
They are extremely versatile and can be used for soups, dips, salads, sides, as tempeh, or even as a baking ingredient. Upload a pic of how you eat your legumes (or upload a recipe) and tag me @coach.solly on Instagram or @sollylama on Twitter and #ballisticstrength!
Tortillas (makes 8, 102 kcal each)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup corn flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- oil for frying
- 14oz (398mL) can pinto beans
- 1 canned chipotle pepper (puréed)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup egg whites
- 1 tsp butter or oil
- 2 cups smoky pinto beans
- 1 oz Asiago Cheese
- 1 cup Salsa
- no/low calorie hot sauce
- Prepare Smoky Beans by draining the canned beans and tossing with remaining ingredients. Refrigerate until ready to use; heat in a small pot on stove or in microwave.
- Crépes: place flour in a large bowl and make a well. Add wet ingredients and beat lightly with a whisk, lumps are OK.
- Heat a lightly oiled, medium size skillet over medium heat. Use a 1/3 cup measure to pour in crépe batter. Allow to brown slightly (45 sec- 1 min), then flip and heat for another minute. Transfer to a plate. Repeat until batter is used up.
- Lightly beat eggs and egg whites with a pinch of salt and pepper. Heat the oil or butter in a small pan and quickly scramble the eggs. Cover and set aside.
- Place one of the tortillas back onto the larger skillet (over low heat) and spoon on some hot sauce, spreading over the entire surface.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese. Spoon 1/2 cup smoky beans over the lower half of tortilla.
- Top the beans with 1/4 scrambled eggs and 1/4 cup salsa.
- When the tortilla has browned and cheese melts, fold the top half over the lower half and transfer to a plate. Serve immediately with extra salsa if desired.